Barbecue Area Reservation Rules · Reservation Application · Westgate Home
The Westgate barbecue area is available to all Westgate residents for parties and other functions. The Information and Publicity Coordinator (email@example.com) manage the reservation administration.
- Reservations are subject to the MIT barbecue rules and safety guidelines. Please read carefully. https://ehs.mit.edu/site/content/barbecue-safety-guidelines
- The picnic area adjacent to the barbecue grills and the one grill closest to the tables are available for large parties or special events. Reservations are required for planned parties, organized meetings, and other similar activities. Reservations may be made up to 30 days in advance. To make a reservation, complete the online reservation form.
- Reservations cost $10 per 4 hours, and $0 if sign you up to volunteer for "Grill Night". Reservation fees should be paid with checks only (made out to MIT) and left in the drop box outside of the Secretary-Treasurer apartment (1608, map here). Do not leave checks in or around the Secretary-Treasurer mailbox. Money collected from reservations will be deposited in Westgate's general account.
- Memorial Day (the last Monday in May), Independence Day (July 4th), and Labor Day (the first Monday in September) are three holidays during which the barbecue area is in high demand. To give all Westgate residents equal opportunity, barbecue area reservations are not allowed on these three holidays. Use of tables and grills will be on a first-come, first-served basis. Hopefully this policy maximizes use of the entire Westgate courtyard by residents' families and friends.
- Reservations may be cancelled at any time; however, the fee is forfeit if the reservations are cancelled less than a week in advance.
- All reservation requests are subject to the discretion of the Graduate Coordinators.
Barbecue Area Treatment
- The individual making the reservation is responsible for the condition of the barbecue and its contents as well as the conduct of all guests. This individual is also financially responsible for all damages made, including those made by guests. Abuse of the barbecue area will result in a complete loss of reservation privileges.
- Coals must be extinguished before leaving.
- Put ashes into the metal can provided next to the grills. Do not put anything else into this can, such as other trash, paper plates, etc.
- Remember that this is your and everyone else's backyard. Clean up after yourselves.
- All trash must be brought to the trashrooms if the trascans outside are full.
- Please recycle all recyclable materials made from glass, plastic, aluminum, tin, steel, paper, etc. by putting them into the recycling bins behind the highrise building.
- The barbecue area curfew is midnight (12am).
- If the BBQ Area is found to be messy and/or full of garbage after your event, you will be charged a $60 FINE.
- If alcohol is to be present at an event in the barbecue area, it must be appropriately indicated on the online reservation form. The proper forms must also be filled out and submitted (see below).
- If alcohol will be present and there will be 50 or fewer guests, the Westgate Alcohol Registration Form must be completed and submitted to the House Manager's office in person, between 8:30am and 3:30pm, Monday through Friday, at least 72 hours before the event.
- If alcohol will be present and there will be more than 50 guests, the MIT Event Registration Form must be completed and submitted and all policies outlined at Alcohol Policies and Procedures @ MIT must be understood and followed.